Explore your community, state & beyond
Museum Adventure Pass
The Museum Adventure Pass is available for check out! To claim your pass, drop by the library with an adult library card and let us know what pass you are interested in. If it’s available, we’ll print it for you! Passes are good one week from the day they are issued and are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. There is no need to return the pass once you are finished with it. Only one pass may be issued per adult library card. The Steger-South Chicago Heights Public Library offers the following Museum Adventure Passes:
- American Writers Museum
- Aurora Regional Fire Museum
- Bess Bower Dunn Museum of Lake County
- Bronzeville Children’s Museum
- Brookfield Zoo
- Cantigny Park
- Cernan Earth & Space Center at Triton College
- Chicago Botanic Garden
- The Children’s Museum in Oak Lawn
- Elgin History Museum
- Elgin Public Museum
- Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center
- KidsWork Children’s Museum
- Legoland Discovery Center
- Lizzadro Museum of Lapidary Art
- Mitchell Museum of the American Indian
- Naper Settlement
- Oriental Institute Museum
- Pleasant Home Foundation
- St. Charles Heritage Museum
Use your Steger-South Chicago Heights Public Library card number and PIN to access the resources in these useful databases:
- Academic Search Premier — Full-text articles to support research in science, engineering, physics, technology, religion and philosophy. Includes access to video from the Associated Press (AP).
- Auto Repair Service – Offers a wealth of information to help you diagnose, repair and maintain cars and vehicles.
- Business Source Premier — Full-text articles to support research in accounting, finance, economics, marketing, management and operations management. Includes access to video from the Associated Press (AP).
- Consumer Health Complete — Full-text articles to support research in aging, cancer, diabetes, drugs & alcohol, fitness and nutrition. Includes teen health topics for teens and parents.
- Consumer Reports — Buying advice, product ratings, reviews, recommendations, money-saving advice and videos for products.
- History Reference Center — Full-text articles to support research in history and genealogy, plus lesson plans to support student learning.
- Home Improvement Reference Center — Detailed, user-friendly, how-to information covering a variety of home improvement and repair projects.
- Legal Information Reference Center — Resources to assist you in legal matters of all kinds, including business law, financial planning, family law, property & real estate, and rights and disputes.
- Literary Reference Center — Novels, short stories, poems, plot summaries and synopses, and literary criticism, plus research guides, lesson plans and citation tools to support student learning.
- MasterFILE Complete — Full-text articles, reference books, primary source documents, photos, maps, flags and videos from the Associated Press (AP).
- Middle Search Plus — Resources to support middle school students, such as biographies, magazines, primary source documents, photos, maps and flags. Includes Sports Illustrated Kids, Scholastic News, National Geographic and more. Articles include reading level indicators (Lexile).
- Newspaper Source Plus — Full-text newspaper articles and TV and radio transcripts. Includes the Associated Press, CNN Wire, PR Wire, UPI, Xinhua, The Chicago Citizen & more.
- NoveList K-8 Plus — Reading recommendations for kids’ fiction and non-fiction that you can search by Lexile, subject and grade level.
- NoveList Plus — A popular and extensive tool for reading recommendations for fiction and non-fiction.
- Points of View Reference Center — Resources for students to understand issues, develop critical-thinking skills and develop persuasive arguments. Includes essays, overiews, articles and transcripts on citizens’ rights, earth and environmental issues, global issues, health and medicine, and media and communications.
- Primary Search — Resources to support elementary school students, including encyclopedias specifically for kids, articles from children’s magazines and a large image collection.
- Science Reference Center — Full-text articles to support research in applied sciences, biology, chemistry, energy, and earth and space science. Includes the Science Image Collection, a database of high-quality images from National Geographic, UPI, Getty, NASA and the Nature Picture Library.
Book Links & Lists
News Feeds & Newspapers
The following are kept for 2 weeks in the library:
- Chicago Sun-Times
- Chicago Tribune
- Crete-Monee Record-Monitor
- Daily Southtown
- NWI Times
- Southland Voice
The following are currently available at the library:
- Better Homes & Gardens
- Chicago Consumers’ Checkbook
- Consumer Reports
- Craft Ideas
- Diabetic Living
- Eating Well
- Family Fun
- Family Handyman
- Food Network Magazine
- Good Housekeeping
- HGTV Magazine
- Ladies Home Journal
- Lego Club
- Life & Style
- The Mailbox
- O the Oprah Magazine
- People / People en Espanol
- Real Simple
- Shop Smart
- Sports Illustrated
- TV y Novelas
- US Weekly
- Weight Watchers
- Women’s Day / Women’s Day for Latinas