What can you do with a Steger-South Chicago Heights Public Library card?
- check out books, movies, CDs, video games, and other items at this and other area libraries, for free!
- get items from other libraries sent to Steger-South Chicago Heights to pick up, free.
- access the library’s online databases for home and car repair, legal assistance, and more.
How do I get a library card?
If your photo ID has your current Steger or South Chicago Heights address, fill out the application and send us a photo or scan of your ID.
Acceptable Photo IDs:
- Valid Drivers License
- State ID
- Military ID
- Firearm Owner’s Identification (FOID)
- Matrícula Consular
Acceptable Proof of Residency
If your photo ID does not have your current/correct address on it, you will need to show two (2) of the following items.
- Current utility bill (electric, water, gas)
- Voter’s Registration Card
- Tax Bill
- Mortgage Statement
- Bank Statement
- United States Postal Service Change of Address Confirmation
Based on our borrowing agreement with other area libraries, if you have had a card at another area library, all fines must be paid before we are able to issue a new one.
Using Your Library Card
- DVDs: Five (5) per card (Age 15+).
- CDs & Books: Limit of 30 total items on card.
Holds on items can be placed in three ways:
- From the catalog located on our homepage.
- From the SWAN website.
- On the SWAN App.
- Or ask a librarian to place the hold for you.
Renewing Your Borrowed Items
Length of Library Loans
- Books/Magazines/CDs/ebooks: 2 weeks
- New release DVDs,BluRays, TV Series, and video games: 3 days
- DVDs, BluRays, & video games (no longer new): 1 week
- TV Series (no longer new): 2 weeks
- Interlibrary Loan: dependent on the lending library
Library Fines for Overdue Items
- Books, magazines, audiobooks, and CDs: no fines ❤️
- DVDs, blurays, & video games: $2 per day
- Interlibrary loan materials: fine assessed by lending library