Expand your world with a free library card.
What can you do with a Steger-South Chicago Heights Public Library card?
- check out books, movies, CDs, video games, and other items at this and other area libraries, for free!
- get items from other libraries sent to Steger-South Chicago Heights to pick up, free.
- access the library’s online databases for home and car repair, legal assistance, and more.
How do I get a library card?
If your photo ID has your current Steger or South Chicago Heights address, fill out the application and send us a photo or scan of your ID.
Acceptable Photo IDs:
- Valid Drivers License
- State ID
- Military ID
- Firearm Owner’s Identification (FOID)
- Matrícula Consular
Acceptable Proof of Residency
If your photo ID does not have your current/correct address on it, you will need to show two (2) of the following items.
- Current utility bill (electric, water, gas)
- Voter’s Registration Card
- Tax Bill
- Mortgage Statement
- Bank Statement
- United States Postal Service Change of Address Confirmation
Based on our borrowing agreement with other area libraries, if you have had a card at another area library, all fines must be paid before we are able to issue a new one.
Using Your Library Card
- DVDs: Five (5) per card (Age 15+).
- CDs & Books: Limit of 30 total items on card.
Holds on items can be placed in three ways:
- From the catalog located on our homepage.
- From the SWAN website.
- Or ask a librarian to place the hold for you.
Renewing Your Borrowed Items
- The SWAN website
- Over the phone at (708) 755-5040
Length of Library Loans
- Books/Magazines/CDs/ebooks: 2 weeks
- DVDs (Juvenile and Adult): new releases – 3 days, older movies – 1 week, TV series – 2 weeks
- Interlibrary Loan: dependent on the lending library
Library Fines (We are temporarily not charging overdue fees for items due since the start of social distancing. Replacement fees for very overdue, lost, or damaged items still apply. Items from other libraries may still be subject to overdue fees from that library. Please continue to be courteous to your neighbors and return items in a timely manner.)
- Audio and Print Material: $0.10 per day
- DVDs/video games: $2 per day
- Interlibrary loan materials: fine assessed by lending library