Getting & Using Your Library Card
Why do you need a Steger-South Chicago Heights Public Library card?
1. To check out items at the library.
2. To request items from a SWAN Library. (No need to drive around, just place the order and wait for the item to be sent here.)
3. To access to the library’s online databases & place holds from home.
4. To check out items at other SWAN Libraries.
5. To save money on your favorite newspapers & magazines.
6. To use free WiFi service and computers.
7. To listen to your favorite CDs without the cost or the space needed to start your own collection.
8. To enjoy free video games, albums, DVDs and Blu-Rays.
How do I get a library card?
If your photo ID has your current Steger or South Chicago Heights address, fill out the application and send us a photo or scan of your ID.
Acceptable Photo IDs:
- Valid Drivers License
- State ID
- Military ID
- Firearm Owner’s Identification (FOID)
- Matrícula Consular
Acceptable Proof of Residency
If your photo ID does not have your current/correct address on it, you will need to show two (2) of the following items.
- Current utility bill (electric, water, gas)
- Voter’s Registration Card
- Tax Bill
- Mortgage Statement
- Bank Statement
- United States Postal Service Change of Address Confirmation
Based on our borrowing agreement with other area libraries, if you have had a card at another area library, all fines must be paid before we are able to issue a new one.
Using Your Library Card
- DVDs: Five (5) per card (Age 15+).
- CDs & Books: Limit of 30 total items on card.
Holds on items can be placed in three ways:
- From the catalog located on our homepage.
- From the SWAN website.
- Or ask a librarian to place the hold for you.
Renewing Your Borrowed Items
- The SWAN website
- Over the phone at (708) 755-5040
Length of Library Loans
- Books/Magazines/CDs/ebooks/digital cameras/flip cameras/Kindles: 2 weeks
- DVDs (Juvenile and Adult): 3 days
- Interlibrary Loan: dependent on the lending library
- Audio and Print Material: $0.10 / day
- DVDs/video games/digital cameras/flip cameras: $2/ day
- Interlibrary loan materials: fine assessed by lending library